Saturday, August 23, 2008

The First Day of School is Almost Here!

The Second Grade Team at Meet the Teacher

This week has been a whirlwind! On Wednesday, Suzie hired another 2nd grade teacher due to our high numbers. Her name is Audra and she is great! She just graduated from UNT and did her student teaching at Northwest, so it is nice to have 2 people on our team that know what they are talking about with all our new curriculum! We were able to work in our rooms quite a bit, but for some reason time just won't stand still.

Brooke called Tuesday morning to let me know that she lost her tooth! I will get a picture up soon.

I picked up Brooke on Wednesday and she chose Red Robin to eat. It was a gorgeous night, so we sat on the patio. It was very long after sitting down that I saw a couple walk up that looked very familiar. It was Laura and Bob from Abilene! We were in a part of town that we usually don't go so it was a great surprise. I get so excited running into people in DFW!

Thursday, Brooke went to LaShawn's for the first time and had a blast! She made her own pizza for lunch and played the whole day with Parker. Parker and Ryan also go to LaShawn and their mom works with me at school. I am blessed to have found LaShawn, but NO ONE compares to Mrs. Tammie. Oh how I miss her!

I knew that this weekend would be hectic with Meet the Teacher on Friday night, finishing up my room and beginning to plan...so...mom had called earlier in the week to see if she could keep Brooke for the weekend. When I picked up Brooke and asked her, so wanted to go Wednesday night to see Pat. I told her I couldn't do it that night, but would on Friday. Well, I called mom and asked if she would meet Thursday night and she did. She and Bubba met me in Terrell and Brooke couldn't say bye to me fast enough. She was so excited to spend the time with mom and of course Dale and Pat! After leaving Terrell, I drove straight to the school and worked until 11:30. To say the least, there were still 20 cars in the parking lot when I left! Elementary teachers are definitely dedicated!

Oh wait...back up. Convocation was Thursday afternoon and it was WONDERFUL! They had live music, great entertainment and the speaker had us rolling till our stomaches ached and even a few watery-eyes. If you ever get a chance to hear Riney Jordan...GO!
Friday was Math Curriculum training all day and then Meet the Teacher! Our big surprise was that Suzie (principal) was riding in on a LONGHORN! The Star Telegram was there, along with a huge crowd excited to see the new school. I had a great turnout! 15 of my 18 students came and I was welcomed by the parents with open arms. I prayed that no one would complain about me being a first year teacher and they did just the opposite. They were very encouraging and calmed my fears tremendously. I am headed up to school in just a minute to work for most of the day. Here are the latest pictures...Suzie on Black Jack speaking to the crowd




This was the PowerPoint that was going during Meet the Teacher, along with Johnny Cash songs


Thanks to all who gave suggestions for my hats theme, but I changed to this so that I could keep it up longer and not just the first week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Concentrate to the things that could give information to the people.

Whitney said...

Your room looks great! Hope you have a great first day. The first week is always very busy but it gets easier after that!

ajphillips said...

OMG! Riney Jordan is from Jordan (my husband's) home town. His parents are great friends with them and we just talked with him the other day...SMALL WORLD! Glad you enjoyed! Good luck on your first day!

Lindi said...

What creative ideas you have. I'm so excited for you. I hope now that school is started your finding your new routine. I hope your enjoying all the "new" in your life. It all seems so exciting!